Saturday, February 7, 2009

Obligatory Charles reference

Tom Ricks is reading Stathis Kalyvas' The Logic of Violence in Civil War (Cambridge Studies in Comparative Politics)
, and reports that 

"It is such heavy academic going that I'm taking a break from it to read another book about civil war, Antonia Fraser's massive warts-and-all biography of Oliver Cromwell...As she tells it, Cromwell has gotten a bad rap. As a commander, he cared more about military effectiveness than ideological purity. Generally, while he was no party animal, he seems somewhat less rigid that the Cromwell I learned about in school."
More on my thoughts on The Logic soon, but for the moment I can only come to one conclusion - my friends still in the Yale Political Union have no choice but to to invite Tom Ricks to speak next year at the Charles Motion debate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment